Qualifications and Experience
- Studied Modern Languages at Newcastle University, graduating with First Class Honours
- Worked as an in-house translator for a major UK translation company
- Became senior translator and joint head of the translation department
- Took a preparation course for the prestigious Diploma in Translation
- Investing in continuing professional development
Now I provide translations directly. I work from French
, Dutch and Catalan into
my native language English
Of course, studying a language from a textbook alone doesn’t make a good linguist, let alone a translator. I have spent significant amounts of time abroad in the countries where my languages are spoken natively, so you can be sure the cultural connotations of your foreign language content are fully understood.
I provide advice to linguists wishing to enter the translation industry, having published an e-book
– The Translator Diaries
– and have given presentations at universities and conferences to this end. I have spoken at professional translation events across the UK on how translators can use Twitter to engage in their industry and in 2015 I was appointed as a tutor on ITI’s Setting Up as a Freelance Translator
course, covering the online presence module.
Since 2016, I have been speaking about the opportunities and challenges of professionalisation in the sector at translation conferences including Elia Together 2016 in Barcelona and Aptrad’s 1st International Conference in Porto.
What that all means for you is someone who transforms passion into a motivation to provide translations of the most superior accuracy and relevance
. For Capital Translations, quality isn’t a unique selling point. It’s a given.
Having worked in a translation company, I know how much value that clients place on excellent communication, exceptional cooperation and utmost flexibility. These are my core values, which I apply to each and every job – no exceptions.
Think we should work together? Then do get in touch.